The Cornerstones approach is broad, balanced and meets the requirements of the National Curriculum 2014. It has a project-based, thematic approach and provides children with a range of rich and memorable learning experiences. Each year group's National Curriculum objectives are split into 'Imaginative Learning Projects' which all have a creative, hands-on approach to learning.
Each Imaginative Learning Project is built on The Four Cornerstones of Learning – Engage, Develop, Innovate and Express. These are four distinct stages that actively promote children’s learning and thinking.
- hook learners in with a memorable experience
- set the scene and provide the context
- ask questions to provoke thought and interest
- use interesting starting points to spark children’s curiosity
- teach knowledge to provide depth of understanding
- demonstrate new skills and allow time for consolidation
- provide creative opportunities for making and doing
- deliver reading, writing and talkacross the curriculum
- provide imaginative scenarios for creative thinking
- enable and assess the application of previously learned skills
- encourage enterprise and independent thinking
- work in groups and independently to solve problems
- encourage reflective talk by asking questions
- provide opportunities for shared evaluation
- celebrate success
- identify next steps for learning.
For more information about our curriculum, please see our full policy by clicking here.
All children receive a weekly Spanish lesson from Monsieur Andrews.
We use the Oxford Reading Tree reading scheme.
Our EYFS and Key Stage One phonics scheme is Letters and Sounds.
Ferney Lee Calculation Progression Document
Our school uses Times Tables Rockstars - a fun times tables platform which children can use to practise at home and in school.
Ferney Lee Road, Todmorden
West Yorkshire OL14 5NR